These little bath melts are simple to make and are a great way to use dried herbs and flower petals from your garden.
You will need….
- 100g pure organic cocoa butter
- 100g pure organic Shea butter
- Dried petals/herbs of your choosing (suggestions below)
- A few drops of essential oils (optional)
- Ice cube trays with enough slots for 24 bath melts
- Equipment for a Bain Marie (bowl and a saucepan)
I chose to make three different types of melt:
- Sensual-Rose petals with Rose and Ylang Ylang essential oil
- Uplifting-Marigold/Calendula petals with Bergamot essential oil
- Relaxing-Lavender petals with Lavender and Chamomile essential oil
Simply melt the cocoa and Shea butter in a heat resistant bowl/Bain Marie. Keep them in the fridge if it gets warm in your part of the world. The internet is great for sourcing reasonably priced good quality pure raw cocoa butter and Shea butter. Once they have melted, will be about 10 minutes, pure the liquid gently into the ice cube trays about half way up to the top. If you want you can pre-fill the trays with a few dried flowers of your choice in each cube, otherwise as the liquid begins to melt drop the dried flowers in. When the liquid is nearly solidified but not quite! Pop 2-4 drops of your chosen essential oil (if using them) into each cube. If you put the oil in before this point you are in danger of the oil evaporating. Let the cubes fully harden, you can put them in the fridge. When they are ready (at least 2 hours afterwards) pop the out into a jar and store somewhere cool and dark. If you put them on a sunny windowsill they will melt! They will keep for up to 6 months. To use just drop one into a running bath and relax. They will moisturise your skin with rich cocoa and Shea butter and they create a heavenly smell. Rinse the bath afterwards as they can be slippy!
(Be careful if you are using bergamot and going out in the sun as it does have photo sensitive properties)